Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Things That Bring a Smile

A lot about running in the winter is predictable. It's going to be cold, it's going to take longer to get geared up for the elements, pot holes and ice patches are going to force you to stay alert to the immediate terrain under foot, and rarely should you expect to break any personal records in this season. I confess that training in January is more like the need to push instead of the feeling of pull.

Today's run involved a lot of effort. It was the least comfortable run of the month so far. I don't think it was due to the fact that it was my third consecutive day but more as a result of pulling out the wrong shoes. Instead of hunting for my trusted blue Addidas, I went for my more subtle toned Reeboks. I hated this pair of shoes two weeks after I purchased them last spring but I can't stand the thought of discarding them. still, I'd be the wiser to throw them in the heap. They have no give at all in the soles and as a result create a bunch of discomfort on already sore heels and insteps. When the shoes aren't right, your natural running form suffers and you fatigue quicker. So today, I just decided to gut out my scheduled 4 miler.

As I was approaching my final mile I was distracted from my small misery by an unexpected running partner. This one stood a whole 12" from the ground- a frisky little yippy dog who decided that it would be more fun to run with me instead of simply bark at me. I was amused as this little mutt ran beside me and then decided to go into an all out dash ahead of me, looking back with a satisfied smirk, to let me know he was faster. When he looked back and saw me lingering 100 yards behind, he circled around a nearby mail box, as if to act completely oblivious to me catching up with him. But when I got beside him, the tiny dog would surge ahead again, repeating these antics over and over. Soon I found myself chuckling at the game this bitty canine decided to play with me. He stayed with me for about a half mile but soon found something more interesting to pursue for the afternoon.

So on a typical winter day when training was less than pleasant, I stumble across a new partner to share my running experience. It's nice to be distracted by amusement in sometimes the simplest of ways. And that's one of the beauties of going out for a run--- you may come home with something to smile about and even novel to post at the end of the day.

1 comment:

Angel Sunshine said...

This was great! Better than the last dog experience you had. :)