Saturday, January 19, 2013

Marathons For 2013

I looked over several marathon options for the year. 

The Maui race looks like a no-brainer but then there's that financial issue that holds me back. 

In the mix were 
Cincinnati's Flying Pig, 
Cleveland, 
Pittsburgh, 
Indy, 
St. Louis 
Dayton, 
Akron, 
Columbus... 
Lots of options and lots of considerations. 

And this year's winners are... I've decided to revisit the road courses I ran last year for this year's spring & fall marathons. 


So it's back to Louisville and Chicago once again

The reasons for picking these races are three. 

  1. Confidence Building- Since I did very well on both courses, having consecutive personal bests, I already have a mental advantage. Experiencing the nuances of both routes previously allows me to apply the right training program to meet the challenges ahead.
  2. Boston Qualifiers- 3:30!! With my goal to shave a little more than 13 minutes from my personal best to get into Boston's prestigious race, both the Derby & Chicago marathons present me with two opportunities to qualify in 2013. Being BQ races, they serve as carrot sticks that inspire me to put it all on the line.Every mile matters... every minute counts!
  3. From Hills To Flats- Louisville has hill climbing involved. This means I must train hard/smart by attacking some hilly roads in the Mansfield area. If I prepare as I did last year, I will gain upper leg strength and increased cardio to meet the demands of the Derby Marathon. As the spring race gets behind me, I will focus on flat routes, such as the bike trail, with a priority on tempo runs for long distances. Last year's combo of hills to flats worked perfectly for me and so it makes sense to repeat what worked.

Maybe next year will feature a different race... say B-O-S-T-O-N  ??? 

1 comment:

Angel Sunshine said...

Pssshhht. You got this! :)